Thanks for stopping by and checking out my work.
My name’s Stephen D. Morrison. I am an American writer, amateur theologian, and literary critic.
I’m currently in the middle of a series of books I call the “Plain English” series. Each book focuses on a significant theologian from modern times and attempts to explain their thought in a scholarly yet accessible way. Learn more about this project here.
I must confess I’m not the most consistent blogger out there, but you can read my latest thoughts and articles here.
My life in bullet points:
- Born in Pickerington, Ohio (near Columbus) on October 4th, 1992
- Ran cross country and track in High School
- Led worship at my youth group, and lead a student ministry at school (FCA)
- Went to Bethel School of Supernatural Ministry in Redding, California for two years
- It’s where I met my wife, Ketlin
- We got married on January 3rd, 2013
- We have lived in Tallinn, Estonia for three years, and now Lund, Sweden for one year while my wife finishes here schooling (Bachelor’s in Public Economics, Master’s in Finance)
- I read 100+ books a year
- I roast my own coffee beans
- I own about 10 different coffee-brewing methods
- As much as I’d like to write full time, I work various “odd-jobs” depending on which country I’m in
- I’ve taught music and English, I’ve worked in sales, and I’ve even worked a few warehouse jobs
- James Joyce, Samuel Beckett, and Paul Auster are my favorite fiction writers
- Karl Barth, Thomas F. Torrance, and Jürgen Moltmann are (currently) my largest theological influences
- I’ve never been to seminary, though I plan to in the near future
- At the moment I am a “self-taught” theologian (thus the “amateur” title)
- I love writing, but detest the editing process
- I’m a musician; I play guitar, piano, drums, and (once upon a time) trumpet
- I find music theory fascinating, and I’ve even dabbled in music composition
- Modern composers tend to be my favorites: Philip Glass, Steve Reich, and Arvo Pärt
- Though I do enjoy an occasional afternoon with Bach or Schubert
- I buy too many books…
- But I get it honest (my grandma has well over 5,000 books in her library)
- Most of my favorite films were directed by Kubrick, Lynch, Tarantino, or Hitchcock
- I love all things Avant-Garde (art, music, novels, plays)
- Jackson Pollock, Mark Rothko, and Pablo Picasso tend to be my favorite artists
- I used to paint quite often, but haven’t in a while because we travel so often (though you and I both know that’s a lame excuse)
- Ketlin and I love traveling to new places together
- Some of my favorite trips we’ve done: Dublin, Rome, Germany (on the Rhine), and Edinburgh
- Ketlin loves the beach, but I love sitting in the shade with my books
- Guinness or a vanilla stout is my go-to beer; Laphroaig for special occasions
- I prefer to run barefoot—or with my “finger shoes” when I must
- I ran a half marathon in high school, and plan to run a full marathon
- That’s enough bullet points for now
- Contact me if you want to say hello!